Saturday, October 29, 2005

Excuse me...Mr Tony?

This may be hard for some of you to get, but I had a domestic helper start mid-October. On all accounts (keep it clean!), it has been fantastic. As far as getting settled into HK, it is getting better and I`m focusing on people and hopefully will enjoy my work here at some point.

I digress...so Sally who has been reading through my cook books, chooses to make a middle-eastern dish with eggplant, seasoned lamb etc...etc... Now unlike the cookbook, she is using the bog-standard cookware provided. ..(nuff said).

It was a little packed, but she proudly put the meal in the oven to bake. Ohhhhhhhh about 40 or so minutes in...the filling is overflowing and hitting the hot plate in the oven...lil steam, little smoke..no harm. Sally (quick thinking and smart), turns off the oven, turns on fan, opens window...but ahh Mother Nature...is crafty...and the smoke is seconds away from the smoke alarm. Sally, however counld not determine the cause of the smoke.(this is the summary I have learned) (ed note: As I am proud to let everyone know that I like to cook, I also remember doing / having smiliar problems initially cooking.... and knowing where to look)

....here is comes....

In whatever typical manner, Sally is kindly trying to wake me from my Saturday afternoon couch-lounging-drooling... (after making it to the gym, and 2 seperate grocery tours of duty...) session in the living room.

poke, poke.....

I awake to a friendly face with no sense of urgency.... "excuse me Mr. Tony, there is a problem in the kitchen" ... senses are now focusing on the background noises...FIRE ALARM...what the faaaaa?

Look out ...big man moving! ...as I sweep by the calm friendly face to figure out if there is a blazing inferno in the kitchen...gladly (see above, it was not.)

Do not take communication for granted....Sally and I had a easy going chat after about sense of urgency (regardless of my sleeping state!). Being concerned about waking me...is the least we both need to worry about!

T.

Nov 1st update: It tasted great. My co-worker BJ also had some...she agreed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|